The Four Rules of Gun Safety!
Gun safety is a lifestyle. Everyone needs to remember the Four Rules of Gun Safety! One of the best Safety Reminders I have seen comes from Clint Smith.
Clint Smith on Gun Safety
The Four Rules Of Gun Safety
1. The Gun Is Always Loaded!
2. Never point A Gun At Something You’re Not Prepared To Destroy!
3. Always Be Sure Of Your Target And What Is Behind It!
4. Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger (and safety on) Until Your Sights Are On The Target!
I’ve made Emily watch Eddie the Eagle several times. Emily knows I go to the gun range and that I shoot guns. I quiz her all the time on what to do if she is at a friends house and the friend wants to show Emily their Dad’s gun. I’ve probably asked Emily hundreds of times on what she is supposed to do if someone wants to show her a gun. She just rolls her eyes at me and says “DADDY, I know what to do.” Emily is NOT going to touch the gun and is to leave immediately and tell and adult.
I am 100% confident in my strict adherence to gun safety at my house. My biggest worry is that something will happen when Emily is not at the house. Talk to you kids about fun safety!
More rules that are great to adhere to:
The 12 Golden rules for Safe Gun Handling
- Always treat the gun as loaded.
- Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
- Always keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
- Always keep the gun unloaded until you are ready to use it.
- Never point the gun at anything you don’t intend to destroy.
- Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
- Learn the mechanical and handling characteristics of the gun you are using.
- Always use proper Ammunition.
- Be sure the barrel is clear of obstructions before loading and shooting.
- If your gun fails to fire when the trigger is pulled, hold your shooting position for several seconds; then with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, carefully unload the gun.
- Don’t rely on the gun’s safety to keep it from firing.
- Be aware of your surroundings when handling guns so you don’t trip or lose your balance and accidentally point and/or fire the gun at anyone or anything.
Hollywood is horrible in their representation of guns. Here is Bruce Willis with his finger on the trigger. Every time the wife and I got to the movies I look at the movie posters and cardboard pop up displays. It seems that 100% of the time if there is a gun in the advertisement there is some violation of the 4 Gun Rules. The most common is finger in the trigger. Remember that gun safety is a lifestyle.
Great gun safety videos from youtube star Hickok45.
Child Gun Safety
For the Pasadena Texas Shooting Dentist Dental Experience call my office at 713-941-8261. I am passionate about dentistry, dirt bikes and guns. Have great healthy teeth, have fun and stay safe!